Are you swallowing dust mite faeces?
House dust mites are tiny creatures, about a quarter of a millimetre long.
They live off human skin scales which have been partially digested by moulds and thrive in humid environments. Mites are found in bedding, carpets, soft furnishings and clothing.
In people allergic to dust mite, it is often not the mite itself but proteins in their droppings which cause the allergy.
Each mite produces about 20 of these waste droppings every day and the droppings continue to cause allergic symptoms even after the mite has died.
Children and asthmatics are at a much higher risk of being severley effected by dust mite, causing all types of allergies but more concerningly, wheezing and tight chest symptoms.
Deep hot water extraction and steam cleaning can not only kill the dust mites but also kill and clean the feeces left behind, which is the main issue!
House dust mite allergy is very common and is associated with asthma, eczema and perennial allergic rhinitis. A significant amount of exposure to house dust mite allergen happens in the bed, so if you or your childrens symptoms are worse at night or first thing in the morning, consider boiling your sheets and getting your mattress, carpet and soft furnishings steam cleaned!